San Jose, California, Criminal Law Attorney
Attorney Charles Mesirow and the legal team at The Law Office of Charles M. Mesirow are dedicated to helping people fight criminal charges. The skill of our attorneys, combined with the personalized, attentive service of our experienced staff, ensures that clients feel informed and confident that their interests are being protected.
With more than three decades of defense experience, Mr. Mesirow has been certified in criminal law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization since 1977, a qualification held by only a small percentage of lawyers in the state. He is also a former senior prosecutor for the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office who now focuses exclusively on criminal defense.
If you are facing criminal charges in the San Jose area, contact The Law Office of Charles M. Mesirow online or call us at 408-288-8100. We defend people against a wide range of criminal charges, including:
- Drunk Driving: Whether this is your first DUI/DWI charge, a repeat DUI offense, or DUI with injuries, we will defend you aggressively and attempt to protect your driver’s license from automatic license suspension.
- Drug Crimes: We represent people charged with possession, sale, distribution, and trafficking of drugs, including marijuana, cocaine and illegal prescription drugs.
- Sex Crimes: We defend the rights and reputations of people accused of sex offenses such as possession or production of child pornography, rape or sexual assault, child sexual abuse or molestation, incest, solicitation, prostitution, or indecent exposure.
- Theft and Fraud: If you were arrested for theft, fraud, a white collar crime or corporate crime such as embezzlement, tax evasion, securities fraud, real estate fraud, perjury, welfare fraud, or Medicare fraud, we can help.
- Shoplifting: Prosecutors sometimes try to over-charge people arrested for shoplifting. An attorney can try to minimize unjust charges and reach a compromise with the victim for restitution.
- Violent Crimes: Our criminal defense lawyers represent clients accused of violent offenses such as murder, vehicular homicide, and assault with a deadly weapon.
- Domestic Violence and violations of restraining orders.
- Assault: We advocate for people charged with assault with a deadly weapon, bar fights, road rage or any other type of assault and battery.
- Juvenile Law: We handle cases involving underage drinking, drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia and more.
- Obstruction of Justice: We will protect your rights if you are accused of evading police, resisting arrest, high speed car chases, failing to pull over, or obstructing justice by failing to comply with a police order.
Felony Convictions and California’s Three Strikes Law
California’s Three Strikes Law can be extremely unfair. If you were convicted of two serious or violent felony crimes at any time in the past – even if you did your time and have been a law abiding citizen for 20 years – you could face a life sentence if you are convicted of another felony offense (even a felony DUI).
If you are facing felony charges, your situation is serious but there may be things an attorney can do to minimize your risk, including reopening a prior case. Work with an experienced lawyer who understands California criminal law and how your local DA charges cases.
Expungements, Dismissals, Reductions to Misdemeanors and Other Post-Conviction Matters: For those who qualify, we can help clear a criminal record through expungement, dismissal after a conviction, or reductions to misdemeanors. We also assist clients seeking early termination of a sentence of probation.
Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney at The Law Office of Charles M. Mesirow
If you have been arrested or are under investigation for a crime in California, you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side. We can represent you in state or federal court, as well as in probation and parole hearings. In appropriate cases, we can also work to reduce felony charges to misdemeanors in order to protect your eligibility for certain jobs and state licenses.
Contact The Law Office of Charles M. Mesirow by phone at 408-916-1407, toll free at 888-312-2293 or by e-mail.
Key Areas of Practice
- Child Pornography/Molestation
- Defense Against Restraining Orders/Violations
- Drug Crimes
- Repeat DUI/Felony DUI
- DUI/Drunk Driving Defense
- Theft and Fraud
- Indecent Exposure
- Sex Crimes
- Violent Crimes
- Post-Conviction Matters