Charles “Chuck” M. Mesirow
Criminal defense attorney Charles “Chuck” Mesirow is a founding partner of The Law Office of Charles M. Mesirow. A former senior prosecutor for the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office, he has handled more than 7,000 criminal law cases and represented clients in over 400 court and jury trials in his more than three decades of defending people accused of crimes in California.
Mr. Mesirow has been certified in criminal law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization since 1977. This is a distinction held by only a small percentage of criminal defense attorneys in the state. In 2002, he was voted one of Silicon Valley’s Top 300 Lawyers by San Jose Magazine.
He is a former Senior Prosecutor with the District Attorney’s Office for the County of Santa Clara from 1971 to 1977, handling major felonies. He headed a fraud unit for the District Attorney’s office during part of his tenure. He has represented over 7,000 cases and tried over 125 felony and misdemeanors cases.
His criminal practice has included practice in state and federal courts throughout California, as well as Florida, Nevada and Arizona. He has many criminal jury trials including high profile homicides, fraud matters, drug cases, rapes, robberies, child molestation as well as misdemeanor matters.
In addition to over 35 years experience as a criminal lawyer, Mr. Mesirow’s criminal defense practice also includes litigation of civil matters which are based upon or intrinsically related to criminal law issues, such as claims involving embezzlement, theft of property, and personal injury matters related to criminal conduct. He has represented victims of crimes in civil actions in seeking recovery for damages and losses.
- California, 1971
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California, 1971 – J.D.
- University of California at Berkeley, 1968 – B.A.
Honors and Awards:
- Special Recognition of Experience, Criminal Defense and Trial Lawyer
- One of Silicon Valley’s Top 300 Lawyers, San Jose Magazine
- Top Criminal Defense Attorneys in Northern California, Super Lawyers Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of California – Advisor
- California Trial Lawyers Association – Member
- Santa Clara County Criminal Justice and Correctional Reform Committee – Member
- Santa Clara County Bench/Bar/Media/Police Committee – Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys – Member
- American Bar Association – Member